Digest of Objections Already Filed
But that was just the first objection filed. The entire case docket, with PDF's of the documents, can be viewed online, courtesy of the website Justia.com. Go to http://news.justia.com/cases/featured/new-york/nysdce/1:2005cv08136/273913/.
On May 5, the Information Law and Policy Center at New York Law School had a deadline for filing its amicus brief addressing the orphan works issue. In asking leave to file an amicus, this party was careful not to term it an objection, but that’s what it is for all practical purposes. That brief is not yet posted. But several other less-developed objections are up:
* April 6: Author Barbara Burke wrote to the court to confirm that she opted out. http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/new-york/nysdce/1:2005cv08136/273913/86/. What an excellent idea. As a fellow opt-outer, I am going to write to the court myself, and I’ll post the text at this blog in case other opt-outers want to do the same and could use a template. In this unprecedented threat to creators’ rights, others are taking care of the legalistic rigor. The rest of us should be making our voices heard by the court, in numbers, by creative means.
* April 17: Author Hope Ryden objected by letter. http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/new-york/nysdce/1:2005cv08136/273913/84/
* April 20: Author Lee Killough objected by letter. http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/new-york/nysdce/1:2005cv08136/273913/90/
* April 20: Jenny Darling & Associates, an Australian literary agency, objected by letter. http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/new-york/nysdce/1:2005cv08136/273913/91/
* April 22: Author John Moore objected by letter. http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/new-york/nysdce/1:2005cv08136/273913/96/
* April 22: Author David Eddings, another opt-out letter. http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/new-york/nysdce/1:2005cv08136/273913/96/
* April 23: Author Shirley A. Young objected by letter. http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/new-york/nysdce/1:2005cv08136/273913/95/
* April 24: Author Mayer Brenner objected by letter. http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/new-york/nysdce/1:2005cv08136/273913/94/