Monday, April 30, 2012

Parties to Court: Give Us Another 60 Days

The following is the text of plaintiffs' counsel Michael Boni's April 27 letter to Judge George B. Daniels: I write on behalf of all parties and objectors, in response to Your Honor's request for a status update. As Your Honor knows, the Second Circuit ruled last August 2011 not to affirm this Court's approval of the amended settlement. After the appellees' motions for rehearing were denied in November 2011, the parties and the objectors' counsel have been negotiating under the supervision of mediator Ken Feinberg, in an attempt to reach a global resolution of this matter. The talks have accelerated since March 14, 2012, when the parties and objectors' counsel had a mediation session at Mr. Feinberg's New York offices. Although significant progress has been made, the mediation has been difficult, and some more time is needed before we will be in a position to bring a settlement to the Court's attention. We will, of course, notify the Court of any settlement developments as soon as they arise, and propose that in any event we update this status report in no more than sixty days. If the Court wishes a report sooner than that, we are available at the Court's convenience to provide it.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. I realize you can't comment on settlement negotiations, but is there any time frame you can offer on when (assuming an agreement is reached) we might actually see checks in the mail? Like a bunch of other folks I submitted a detailed claim in 2005!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Irv Muchnick said...

I really have no idea on that one. Sorry. We'll post the next stage of news just as soon as we can.

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Irv,

You said:

The last data made public shows claims for about 8,000 articles that are either A or B, and 304,000 articles that are C.

In the seven years in-between, hav those been vetted by the defense? Or will they just be starting the process now?

Roz

8:04 AM  
Blogger Irv Muchnick said...

Very good question. I probably wouldn't be allowed to answer it even if I knew the answer. But I don't have enough information, confidential or otherwise, to offer a full answer at this point.

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the response. A while ago, I got something from that GG law firm asking for something or other about a small group of my claims. It was so long ago, I forget what and when exactly. But I remember it as being basic stuff, and just a handful of stories out of my 230+. Roz

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, it's now been nearly 60 days since this was posted.
Did the court respond? What is the status?

7:07 AM  
Blogger Irv Muchnick said...

I intend to report further on or around June 27.

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad I checked back on June 25. Anticipation is building! :)

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The 27th has come & gone. Any updates?

5:13 PM  
Blogger Irv Muchnick said...

June 27 has indeed come and gone. We think something is breaking very soon, and when it does, I'll post the news at once.

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is now about 40 days past the 60 days; did the judge ever respond? Have their been other meetings?

6:51 AM  
Blogger Irv Muchnick said...

I am not aware of any response by the judge. The discussions are ongoing. I'll hope to be able to say more shortly.

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any meetings recently? Anything coming up? I know you can't post details of negotiations, but can you tell us if they actually are still going on?

6:13 PM  
Blogger Irv Muchnick said...

I can tell you that talks continue. I'm frustrated that I can't say more yet.

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home